Pajara is the southernmost and the largest of the six municipalities in Fuerteventura – from the centre of the island and covers the entire south of Fuerteventura. With most of the revenue from tourist centres of Costa Calma, Morro Jable and Solana Matorral. The whole municipality offers well over 20,000 hotel rooms. The area of Pajara is about 383.52 square kilometres (148 square miles) with a coastline of amlost 100 miles. The highest point in Fuerteventura is the Pico de Jandia (Pico de la Zarza) 2650 feet (807 meters) high located in Jandia. Most of this peninsula is protected by Parque Natural de Jandia since 1987. Today the municipality comprises the villages of Morro Jable, Solana Matorral, Cardon, Costa Calma, La Lajita, La Pared, Pájara, Esquinzo, Piedras Caidas, Toto, Ajuy, Mal Nombre, Punta Jandía, Chilegua.
The name Pajara as the town is first time mentioned in 1612 in a document relating Betancuria. The town is like an oasis in the valley between 600 meters high mountains, of which the Fenduca 609 meters above sea level is the highest one. In town Pajara you can visit the church of Nuestra Senora de Regia. The church was originally built in 1687 and subsequently extended and is perhaps the most beautiful church inside of the Fuerteventura, thanks to the lovely wall paintings. Also of interest is the church dedicated to San Antonio de Padua in the village of Toto. It was built in the second half of the 18th century and completed in 1795. Inside is a statue of the patron of the place – San Antonio.
These days, about 90 percent of the population work in the tourist sector. A huge challenge is to keep level so that the ecosystem of the Fuerteventura is not compromised. More hotel buildings are not planned. There is the quote: “The municipality of Pajara don’t need any more hotel rooms!”. They are trying not to be dependent not only on the tourism, the present government has taken on the task of promoting agriculture, especially on the south of Fuerteventura, in Pajara municipality.